How to Get Bids for New Jersey Roofing & Home Improvement
The biggest decision you make before starting a home improvement project doesn’t involve color samples or fixtures; it’s the contractor you hire who can make or break the project! Soliciting and evaluating an estimate for New Jersey roofing is an important part of hiring the best contractor for your needs. The process can be unfamiliar and confusing, but by following these guidelines, you’ll ensure you get an estimate that includes the full scope of work to be completed and enough information to fairly evaluate the contractor’s proposal.
- On-site visit. At a mutually convenient time, a contractor vying for your business should come to your home to learn about the work you want completed. Allow him time to inspect your home and take measurements that will help determine material costs. Ask questions, and note whether he is upfront and easy to communicate with.
- Written estimate. Once the contractor has gathered information about the scope of your project, he should then prepare a written proposal with itemized costs for the various elements of the job. This should also include the estimated completion time.
- Estimate review. The contractor should present the prepared estimate to you, along with current references and honest answers to additional questions you have.
Once you have at least three bids for your New Jersey roofing project, it’s then time to compare the estimates according to cost, references from past customers, the local reputation of the contractor and your personal impressions.
Up and Above Contractors would be happy to conduct a FREE in-home consultation and estimate for your New Jersey roofing project, or for siding, gutters, windows, doors, decks or additions. We’ve earned the trust of thousands of New Jersey homeowners, and know we can exceed your expectations! To schedule an estimate, please call (973) 531-4225 or fill out the Request a Quote form on our website. We look forward to meeting with you!
It’s Up and Above Contractors’ 20th Anniversary – and the Awards Keep Coming!
This year Up and Above Contractors celebrates our 20th anniversary of serving Warren, Morris and Sussex Counties. It has already been a great year, and these recent awards make it even better!
2013 Reader’s Choice Silver Award
We’re proud to have received the Silver Award for “Best Contractor” in the 8th Annual Readers’ Choice Awards, presented by the New Jersey Herald. These awards honor the best businesses in Sussex County. Thank you to all the readers who voted for us.
Three GAF Excellence Awards for 2012
We’re proud to be one of only two New Jersey roofing contractors in the entire state – and one of only 127 contractors in the country – to receive all three Excellence Awards from GAF, the largest shingle manufacturer in North America. These coveted awards recognize Up and Above’s dedication to top-quality workmanship and superior customer service. The awards include:
- Consumer Protection Excellence Award
- Training Excellence Award
- Installation Excellence Award
We are not only grateful to receive these honors, we take them very seriously because these three categories represent the level of expertise we strive to bring to every project.
Call for a FREE Quote
Let us demonstrate why we’re worthy of these awards! Call Up and Above Contractors today at (973) 531-4225 for a FREE in-home consultation and estimate on your home improvement project.
Get the “Wow” Factor for Your Home with The Designed Exterior by PlyGem
Do you hate the exterior appearance of your home, but love your neighborhood and don’t want to move? Have you thought of doing exterior renovations but just don’t know where to start or what style you want? Have we got exciting news for you!
With The Designed Exterior by Ply Gem – a whole-house approach to exterior home renovation – you can beautifully transform the look of your home with low-maintenance materials that add curb appeal and energy efficiency in just days.
PlyGem, manufacturer of Mastic siding, partnered with a leading national architectural firm to identify which styles homeowners most preferred. The result is The Designed Exterior – a collection of complete exterior solutions designed to appeal to today’s homeowners. From Craftsman to Prairie, French Country to Low Country, The Designed Exterior features a variety of styles, each featuring carefully chosen components including:
- Stone accents
If you love the home you’re in, there’s no reason you can’t stay put and affordably update it, while gaining pride of ownership and energy efficiency at the same time. The Designed Exterior by Ply Gem is the answer. Click to explore how The Designed Exterior can inspire your home remodeling project! When you’re ready to begin creating a beautiful home exterior that expresses your personality, call Up and Above Contractors at (973) 531-4225. We’re a leader in New Jersey home improvement and specialize in roofing, siding, windows and doors, decks and additions. We’d love to be your building partner!
The Pros of Using Composite for Decks in NJ
Up and Above Contractors designs and builds beautiful decks for NJ homeowners throughout Sussex, Warren and Morris counties. One of the decking materials we feature is composite decking, an innovative product made by combining wood fibers with certain plastics to produce tough, durable planks that can be used just like wood.
The biggest difference between wood and composite decking is that composite is a snap to maintain. It offers excellent resistance to moisture and the sun’s UV rays – the enemies of wood – preventing it from rotting, warping, cracking, splitting and weathering. If you choose to build a wood deck, you’ll need to clean it once a year and seal it every two years to preserve its integrity; with a composite deck, just an occasional wash with deck cleanser will do.
Composite comes in a variety of colors and finishes, and can usually be painted or stained as desired. One point to remember is that composite decking is not structurally rated (it can’t bear extreme weight), so real wood must be used for the supports and frame of the deck structure. For more information about composite decking, contact Up and Above Contractors at (973) 531-4225 or complete and submit our online request form. We’d be happy to provide a FREE in-home consultation and deck estimate. For beautiful decks, NJ homeowners turn to Up and Above!
Refresh Your New Jersey Flooring with Beautiful Hardwood
Has winter left your carpeting worn and dingy? Are you tired of the hassle of steam cleaning every year? Would you like to increase the resale value of your home? It might be time to consider the benefits of hardwood flooring installed by Up and Above Contractors.
- Attractive aesthetics. Hardwood floors never go out of style. While many flooring products are faddish and subject to taste (think shag carpeting), hardwood maintains its beauty and functionality for decades. Its wide range of colors and styles complements every décor, from traditional to contemporary.
- Low maintenance. Hardwood flooring resists the spills and stains of everyday living with simple clean-up. If you find that hardwood has lost its luster, simply sand and refinish for a fresh look. With proper maintenance, it can last more than a century!
- Air-friendly. Traditional carpeting traps dirt, dust and pollen, and acts as a haven for dust mites. For those with respiratory problems, hardwood flooring can provide great relief.
- Environmentally friendly. Use of this sustainable product encourages the wise use of forests and reforestation for continued production.
- Big return on investment. A great majority of realtors agree that homes with hardwood floors sell faster and for more money than those without, making it a great investment. New homeowners want a home that’s move-in ready, and dirty carpet is not.
Up and Above’s flooring experts have extensive experience with hardwood floors. We’ll consult with you to determine which product fits your style and budget, and then provide professional installation. Call Up and Above today at (973) 531-4225 for a FREE in-home consultation and flooring estimate!
Vote for Up and Above in the 8th Annual Readers’ Choice Awards!
This year Up and Above Contractors is celebrating our 20th year in the New Jersey roofing and home improvement business. What better way to celebrate than to once again be nominated in the “Best Contractor” category of the 2013 Readers’ Choice Awards, sponsored by the New Jersey Herald! We love taking care of clients throughout Sussex County, and to receive this recognition from them is a big deal for us.
If we’ve served you in the past and have delivered a great home improvement experience (or if you’re one of our friends or family!), we hope you will vote for us. Click here to visit the survey, then scroll down to #23. Select Up and Above, and don’t forget to hit submit at the end of the survey to cast your ballot! Hurry … voting ends Saturday, April 12th at 5:00PM.
Cedar Discovery by Mastic Gives New Jersey Vinyl Siding a Fresh Look
This ain’t your grandmother’s New Jersey vinyl siding! As a certified Mastic siding contractor, Up and Above Contractors is always excited to install amazing polymer siding that replicates the look of real cedar shingles on homes throughout Sussex, Warren and Morris counties. The Cedar Discovery shake and shingle line by Mastic Home Exteriors was designed using a red cedar shake sample, so each polymer shingle displays the same rough texture as real cedar, down to the varied gaps and patterned edges. Best of all, Cedar Discovery shakes and shingles end the costly maintenance and repair of real wood.
Here are the best features of the Cedar Discovery line:
- Choice of finishes. Choose from the subtle shading and color variations of naturally weathered cedar, or the fresh look of recently-painted shingles.
- Wind-resistant. Proven to resist wind speeds up to 190 mph.
- Sustainable. Crafted of readily available natural materials, Cedar Discovery is safe, sustainable and recyclable.
- Hassle-free. Requires no paint or stain, so harmful VOCs aren’t released into the atmosphere.
- Breathe easy. Cutting does not produce harmful silica dust, which can cause lung disease.
- Easier installation. Panels flex to ease installation in tight places, which helps ensure a perfect fit and professional finish.
- Longer panels. Exposed panel length is up to 12% longer than competitors’ panels, for faster installation.
- V.I.P. Limited Lifetime Warranty. Limited lifetime warranty covers defects in material and workmanship, as well as hail damage and excessive fading.
- Coordinating trim options and accessories available.
Up and Above Contractors offers professional and reliable installation of Mastic siding. Let us guide you through the steps of choosing, ordering and installing a superior siding product for your home. Call Up and Above today at (973) 531-4225 for a FREE in-home consultation and estimate!
Add Gutters in NJ to Your Spring Cleaning List
When the sun shines, gutters in NJ are out of mind and out of sight. But during a downpour, when water is pouring off gutters and onto heads, everyone starts noticing this important roof component! Beyond keeping water off your head when you walk into your house, gutters perform the very important function of keeping water away from a home’s foundation and walls. Excessive water around and under these areas can spark a host of problems, including flooding, mold growth and structural damage.
Gutters should be cleaned at least twice per year. Over fall and winter months and during the spring when trees bud, gutters typically gather mud and debris from trees, causing them to drain slower or become clogged. Your gutters could also be undersized, promoting backups and overflowing. Spring is the ideal time to check the condition of your gutters. Here’s what to look for, along with some safety tips:
- Use a sturdy ladder of the appropriate height to reach your gutters. Consider working with a partner who can spot you and help dispose of debris as you work.
- Inspect gutters for damage and make sure they aren’t pulling away from the fascia board, causing leakage between the gutter and house.
- Once you have cleared gutters of debris, flush them with water to ensure the flow is not obstructed and gutters drain properly. Gutters must be pitched slightly toward downspouts to prevent standing water that attracts insects.
- Ensure that downspouts are not clogged, and that they extend several feet away from the base of the house.
Gutter cleaning is a time-consuming, messy job – but it can also prevent major expense and damage to your home. Up and Above Contractors encourages you to check your gutter system, and to call us if you need new gutters or repairs. For a FREE in-home consultation and estimate, call Up and Above today at (973) 531-4225.
Save on New Jersey Roofing: ENERGY STAR® Qualified Shingles Tax Credit Extended Through 2013
Some good news for homeowners came out of the “fiscal cliff” legislation passed at the beginning of the year, particularly if you’re interested in “cool” shingles for New Jersey roofing. The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 extended certain energy tax credits through 2013. ENERGY STAR®-qualified asphalt roofing shingles qualify for this tax credit of up to $500.
According to the Cool Roof Rating Council, ENERGY STAR-qualified shingles may save from 7-15% in total cooling costs, depending on geography, structure and climate. They can also increase roof product life as they maintain a more constant temperature and cut down on thermal shock. A reflective roof can reduce peak cooling demand, potentially enabling a property owner to purchase a smaller, more efficient and less expensive cooling system.
GAF features a number of ENERGY STAR qualified shingles, including:
• Timberline® Cool Series in all colors – Cool Antique Slate, Cool Barkwood and Cool Weathered Wood
• Timberline HD™ and Timberline Ultra HD™ in White
• Timberline Natural Shadow in Arctic White
• Royal Sovereign® in White
If you’re interested in taking advantage of this tax credit, please call Up and Above Contractors at (973) 531-4225 to schedule a FREE estimate on ENERGY STAR-qualified New Jersey roofing, or contact your tax advisor for more information.