Vinyl is a popular siding choice in cold areas. Other than being affordable, this material is an excellent insulator. With optimal thickness and built-in insulation, vinyl siding can trap the heat inside your house and save you some money on energy.
Whatever home improvement project you’re planning, it’s a good idea to choose a home improvement company that fits all of your preferences. Whether you’re thinking about replacing your roof or getting new windows, working with a qualified contractor will help you avoid most – if not all – potential problems.
To help you get started, use this checklist to find the contractor that deserves your business.
1. Finding a Reliable Contractor
Compile a list of up to six contractors so you have a solid shortlist of prospects. To start your list, do these:
- Ask for referrals from your friends, family and colleagues at work. You can even ask your neighbors.
- If there’s a builders’ association in your area, you can ask the organization.
- You can also check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Now that you have your list, determine which are the best by:
- Checking out their website and determining whether it looks professional.
- Reading the reviews from customers.
- Reading positive as well as negative reviews. If there are negative reviews, how did the contractor respond? How did they resolve issues, if they did?
2. Vetting Contractors
Now that you’ve got a list of potential contractors, it’s time to give them a call. Ask them a few questions about:
- How long they have been in business and what types of projects have they’ve done in the past.
- Insurance. They should be insured for property damage, personal liability and worker’s compensation. You don’t want to have a problem if something unexpected happens while they’re working at your home.
- References from past projects.
- Their service regarding permits if your project requires permits.
- Payment terms and schedule.
- Estimate of the project.
- Schedule of the project.
3. Meeting Your Top Prospective Contractors
When you’ve successfully narrowed down your choices, it’s time to meet with your top contractors. Bring your notebook and pen to take notes. Use this notebook for keeping track of your project as well. Ask your contractors a few questions:
- Will you pull the permits and purchase the materials?
- Is site cleanup and disposal of the old materials part of the estimate?
- Before signing a contract, make sure the price is fixed.
Remember to keep a record of all your transactions, particularly anything that has to do with warranties. To make sure you’re dealing with a reputable contractor, do your due diligence.
Up and Above Contractors is a trusted window replacement contractor. We are also a reputable roofing company. Call us today at 973-531-4225, or fill out this form for your free estimate. We work with homeowners in Sparta, Hackettstown and Wantage, NJ. We also work in the Sussex, Morris and Warren counties, particularly in Andover.
Out of all the numerous industry awards a roofing company can win, the one that’s most sought after is the GAF President’s Club Award. This award simply means that a contractor represents the best of the best, given when three required qualifications are met. However, the requirements to earn the President’s Club Award are so strict and rigorous that only 2% of all roofing contractors in the U.S. qualify. So, what goes into winning this award?Read More
If you’re planning to contact a local home improvement company for a property makeover, then you might want to consider inquiring about skylights. Sometimes called rooflights, these light-transmitting structures are an innovative type of window that are set into the roof of a house. Skylights are typically made from glass, acrylic or polycarbonate. They help create a bright, daylight-filled space while significantly reducing energy costs.
Enclosing your front porch can be a big decision to make. Not only are you considering what your front porch will look like after the project is done, but you’re also wondering if it’s really worth spending for a closed porch. If you’re left wondering and unsure of what to do, then here are some of the benefits you need to consider.
Spring can bring strong rain, hail and wind storms. While you can’t control the weather, you can prepare your home against it.
Gutters safely direct water away from your home, protecting it from costly moisture-related damage. A damaged gutter system can cause water to back up onto your roof and overflow onto your siding. It can also allow water to penetrate into your foundation and compromise its structural integrity.
Home additions come in different types and sizes and can be used for any purpose. When deciding what your new space should be, always consider your family’s needs and the current state of your home.Read More