Being a homeowner entails more than just buying property and living in it. People should constantly maintain and improve their homes. Doing so will not only make their daily living more comfortable, but also give homeowners more savings in the long run or even give their homes a higher market value should they sell it.
We at Up and Above Contractors, your reliable Hopatcong NJ roofing contractors, are here to help you with your home improvement and maintenance plans this March. Here is a list of maintenance guidelines:
1. Clean your gutters. If your gutters are still showing signs of winter (e.g., ice or snow clogging them), it is time to clean them. Check for tree branches and clogged parts. Make sure that the downspouts will lead the water away from your house.
2. Clear your roof of snow. Continue having snow removed from your roof if it has not cleared yet. Doing so can protect your roof from further damage. It is also advisable to check underneath it for signs of moisture. Loose shingles also indicate a damaged roof. Get those fixed immediately as well.
3. Inspect your interior and exterior for water damage. The winter season might have hit your house really hard. Water damage to your interior and exterior may lead to mold and mildew growth, discolorations and stains, peeling or blistering walls, and damaged walls, floors, and ceilings, among others. A thorough inspection of water damage to both the outside and inside of your home is beneficial at this time of the year.
4. Repaint walls and siding. During the course of winter, walls can discolor and siding can chip. If the damage is not severe, a repaint job can do the trick.
5. Wash your windows. Your windows have kept indoor temperatures at comfortable levels during winter, so they deserve some attention. Regularly cleaning your windows can make them work more efficiently.
6. Check caulking. Check exterior caulking and weather stripping for cracking, peeling, or other signs of deterioration. Recaulk or replace if necessary.
7. Maintain your fireplace. Because winter will soon be over, now is the best time to clean your fireplace to avoid damaging it and to prepare it for next winter.
Proper maintenance is key to adding value to your home, especially during the changing of seasons. For any concerns regarding your gutters, roof, siding, windows, and doors, consult the best roofing contractors in Sparta NJ—Up and Above Contractors. We can help you prepare your house for spring and the rest of the year. Call us at (973) 531-4225 today.