It’s quite discouraging when you realize that a lot of things are beset by their own problems. But why should that hinder you from getting what you want? The same can be said about roofing shingles: they too face a set of issues unique to them. But there’s no need to worry! Up and Above Contractors, one of the most trusted NJ roofing contractors, provides you with a list of the most common shingle issues that you may come across:
1. Old age. Materials used to make shingles have different life spans. When they reach their maximum, shingles tend to get a little weaker and become more vulnerable to the elements. So it is best to check their condition annually.
2. Curling. Curling shingles are caused by various factors, such as (1) the lack of ventilation, (2) high nails, or (3) the wrong number of fasteners. Leaving curling shingles unrepaired can cause extensive water damage.
3. Buckling. Bucking shingles can be caused by (1) improper ventilation and insulation of the roof, (2) unprofessional installation, and (3) installation of another layer of shingles on top of old or damaged ones. Buckling occurs when moisture gets under the shingles.
4. Missing shingles. Missing shingles can be a sign that your shingles have been improperly installed or have low weather resistance, which may cause them to be easily blown off or washed away.
5. Granule loss. Your shingles may also experience granule loss when there’s a downpour. This phenomenon is as normal as your shingles growing old. You just have to be wary of the amount of granules found in your gutters, though.
6. Mold and mildew formation. Your shingles may also be vulnerable to mold and mildew formation, especially when they have accumulated a lot of moisture underneath.
True, there are plenty of roofing contractors in NJ that can assist you. However, no one can do it like us at Up an Above Contractors! Should you need any assistance, please don’t hesitate to call us at (973) 531-4225. We always look forward to helping our clients.