Although it is reasonable to expect your roofing contractor to complete your project on time, certain factors may result in unavoidable disruptions.
Today, we discuss some of the most common causes of roofing project delays.
What Causes Roof Replacement Delays?
- Change orders: Change orders are modifications made to a remodeling project while still in progress. They can be caused by various factors, including problems with the manufacturer or supplier, compatibility issues or changes made by the client. Such changes cause delays and incur additional costs. Planning the project thoroughly helps minimize such issues.
- Inclement weather: Bad weather is a common cause of roofing delays, especially when the roof installation is already underway. Even light rain can cause delays because the roof deck must be completely dry before installing the rest of the roofing layers. Otherwise, the lingering moisture will affect the quality of the new roof. Starter strip adhesives can take longer to dry too.
- Hidden damage: Sometimes, contractors discover extensive mold or rot in the roof deck, or find that the roof structure is compromised. These types of damage may not always be obvious, and they must be addressed before the new roof can be installed. This means delays in your project.
What You Can Do
- Check the weather forecast. The weather must be considered when planning a home improvement project. Roofing professionals typically prefer to work on sunny days to ensure safety and quality. If it rains unexpectedly, it’s best for your roofer to pause the work and continue once the weather clears and the materials dry.
- Don’t wait for the busy season. If possible, schedule your roof replacement before the peak season. It’s common for contractors to have a tight schedule in spring, and this could cause delays in your roofing project.
Still looking for the right contractor for your next project? Up And Above Contractors, LLC is one of the most reliable companies in the area. We listen attentively to our clients so we can provide solutions that meet their specific roofing needs. To schedule a consultation, fill out our contact form, or call us at (973) 300-0636. We serve clients in Sussex, Morris, Warren and other nearby communities.