Here’s a must-have in every American home: a sturdy and well-designed deck for entertaining and recreation. If you’re planning to have one installed this season, you’ll want to make sure you have every base covered. This is a huge undertaking after all. Get started with these simple planning tips:Read More
At Up and Above Contractors, we have always aimed for full customer satisfaction. That’s why we represent only the most trusted roofing manufacturers in the country. We are a GAF Certified Master Elite® roofing contractor, which is already a great feat, but we have also worked to gain the brand’s Triple Excellence Award.Read More
If your entry door is up for replacement, and you need something to give it a little boost, consider adding sidelights to it. We look at the benefits of adding sidelights to your front entry door.Read More
Replacement windows are an important investment. So, it is normal to expect them not to fail before their expected lifespan is up. But sometimes they do, and here are some of the major reasons why this happens.
Whatever home improvement project you’re planning, it’s a good idea to choose a home improvement company that fits all of your preferences. Whether you’re thinking about replacing your roof or getting new windows, working with a qualified contractor will help you avoid most – if not all – potential problems.
To help you get started, use this checklist to find the contractor that deserves your business.
1. Finding a Reliable Contractor
Compile a list of up to six contractors so you have a solid shortlist of prospects. To start your list, do these:
- Ask for referrals from your friends, family and colleagues at work. You can even ask your neighbors.
- If there’s a builders’ association in your area, you can ask the organization.
- You can also check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Now that you have your list, determine which are the best by:
- Checking out their website and determining whether it looks professional.
- Reading the reviews from customers.
- Reading positive as well as negative reviews. If there are negative reviews, how did the contractor respond? How did they resolve issues, if they did?
2. Vetting Contractors
Now that you’ve got a list of potential contractors, it’s time to give them a call. Ask them a few questions about:
- How long they have been in business and what types of projects have they’ve done in the past.
- Insurance. They should be insured for property damage, personal liability and worker’s compensation. You don’t want to have a problem if something unexpected happens while they’re working at your home.
- References from past projects.
- Their service regarding permits if your project requires permits.
- Payment terms and schedule.
- Estimate of the project.
- Schedule of the project.
3. Meeting Your Top Prospective Contractors
When you’ve successfully narrowed down your choices, it’s time to meet with your top contractors. Bring your notebook and pen to take notes. Use this notebook for keeping track of your project as well. Ask your contractors a few questions:
- Will you pull the permits and purchase the materials?
- Is site cleanup and disposal of the old materials part of the estimate?
- Before signing a contract, make sure the price is fixed.
Remember to keep a record of all your transactions, particularly anything that has to do with warranties. To make sure you’re dealing with a reputable contractor, do your due diligence.
Up and Above Contractors is a trusted window replacement contractor. We are also a reputable roofing company. Call us today at 973-531-4225, or fill out this form for your free estimate. We work with homeowners in Sparta, Hackettstown and Wantage, NJ. We also work in the Sussex, Morris and Warren counties, particularly in Andover.
Every homeowner strives to bring out the best in their home, whether it’s in terms of looks, performance, protection or energy efficiency. That’s why it’s important to keep your home in top shape to maximize its benefits. In today’s post, we’ll be focusing on your home’s soffits and fascias, which ensures your home’s protection and energy efficiency. Read on as a local roofing company shares three things you need to consider before getting new ones.Read More
Your gutters are one of the most important parts of your home. After all, it keeps water, dirt and debris away from building up on your roof and damaging it. They also prevent ice dams from building up during the winter season. However, there are a lot of gutter materials that are available on the market today. Which one is a good choice?
Out of all the numerous industry awards a roofing company can win, the one that’s most sought after is the GAF President’s Club Award. This award simply means that a contractor represents the best of the best, given when three required qualifications are met. However, the requirements to earn the President’s Club Award are so strict and rigorous that only 2% of all roofing contractors in the U.S. qualify. So, what goes into winning this award?Read More
A foul odor under your deck is not an uncommon occurrence for homeowners. Still, this doesn’t mean that you should just live with it. Here are some ways to eliminate the odor once and for all.